This message is from: "Debby Stai" <debby.s...@earthlink.net>

When I’ve had problems with a horse or a pony, even a mini that was scared,
very scared (thinking not treated so kindly in his previous life), I would
always have someone hold them with the lead rope, never tying.  If they are
tied and then struggle and feel trapped, I think it’s a concern for them and
for me.
I always do a “trrrrr” noise, not sure where I picked it up, it’s a
soothing noise I make.  I try to do a lot of pick up foot, tap on bottom and
put foot down before they take from me.  As they get better, and know me
better, I expect a bit more, and try to not let them yank the foot or do the
pulling with the back foot, trying to stay as close to their body as possible.
Always lots of good boy, good girl, rubbing, scratching.  I always take notice
too, that a new farrier would introduce himself or herself.

My Langster was terrible about moving away, sneaky bugger.  Ears pinned like
he was so bad, but he was not.  He was a good boy.  Ynde is kind of that way.
I find with her, she does not like her foot held tight, and some farriers will
put a death grip.  I know they have to hold the foot in awkward positions for
the horses, and its tough on smaller horses and ponies and as tough on the
farrier, getting that leg where he needs it.  I’ve had farriers do great
jobs, get it done and fast and good and others slow and the horses get
grouchy.  The last farrier I’d tried was over 6ft tall, and doing my old
mare that was just 13.2 with arthritis, I’d have to ask him please try to
not pull her back legs way out behind her, she had arthritis in her hocks.
With most of mine I could just rest their foot on my hand and pick out their
feet, and they have the other foot lifted when I got to it.  Funny thing is, I
had my way, which foot to start with and work around the pony, and husband
would do it the opposite, and Ynde is a creature of habit.
The minis we have now, were a bit nervous about feet being done, and they have
been handled and had their feet done, but I suspect a bit rough treatment.
But calm I do it and now they are calm and I do it  while they are munching
hay.  They are better with me than with husband, but I touch the leg and he
grabs.

Good luck with yours, they will come around, just daily and a bit at a time,
even just picking up, patting, go to the next foot.  Eventually it will all
come natural.

Debby in Tx