From:
"jhalst7...@aol.com" <jhalst7...@aol.com>
To: fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com
Sent: Thursday, January 3, 2013 6:19 PM
Subject: Beet pulp

This message is
from: jhalst7...@aol.com

My Fjord, Patrick, also has what I call "runny
butt" periodically.  His
manure is fine but he apparently has excess liquid
in his  gut.  Cleaning his
rear is not fun in the cold!  I changed him  from
first to second cut hay
several years ago and that helped a little but for
same reason the last batch
of second cut has started the problem  up again.
I do get nervous because
he had to have colic surgery three  years ago and
that was followed three
months later with EPM!  He has been  doing so well,
being ridden again etc.,
except for the runny rear end which just  started up
again in the fall.  It
seems to be related to the weather  also.  When there
is a sudden change in
temperature it gets a little  worse.  Has anyone else
noticed this?

I'm really interested in the comments about beet pulp.  How
much  should be
given?  Do you have to reduce the grain?  Patrick currently
gets Blue Seal
Trotter pellets both morning and night and hay three times a
day.  I know
he would LOVE to get more edible stuff!

Carol and Patrick in CT
Important FjordHorse List Links: