This message is from: Rose or Murph <roseormu...@ywave.com>

I never used to hand feed my fjord, until like others I trained her to turn her
head away from me to get her treat. She is never, ever fed a treat if she
touches me, frisks,nips or even smells my hands. Very smart mare she learned
very quickly that turning her head away quietly is the only way she earns the
reward.  If she is obnoxious about waiting for the treat, I wait her out until
she settles, and never feed her in a pushy state of mind.

My cue for her to turn her head is "say please".

At first I only fed her a treat at certain times like after she was ridden. I
still pretty much stick to hand feeding only at certain times , not all the
time, otherwise I do believe that would train her to expect something every
time, hence turning in to a treat dispenser.

She does now ask me for a goodie by turning her head at non-routine treat
times. Sometimes I do give her something, most of the times I don't.

Got to love these Fjords, so very smart. Easy to teach them good and bad things
if one does not pay attention to timing.

Happy Trails,

Rosemary and Farra.