From: owner-fjordho...@angus.mystery.com [owner-fjordho...@angus.mystery.com]
On Behalf Of Patricia Pasqual [tishpasq...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:40 AM
To: fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com
Subject: training or disposition?

This message is from: Patricia Pasqual <tishpasq...@gmail.com>

I think that some horses are more "forgiving" than others - if a novice
uses a cue that is somewhat in the range of the cue the horse knows, these
schoolmasters "get it" and obediantly perform the task. There are other
horses, however, that will never be schoolmasters because their range for
understanding a cue is much less forgiving. I don't believe that is
training - my horse has every "button" trained there is, but he is fussy
about how you ask. If you don't ask correctly, you probably aren't going to
get what you are looking for. That is why I made sure when I had him
trained that I got trained myself - I already know this about him. The
first thing Elph does when a new rider gets on him is test: what if I just
go in the corner? what if I cut inside at the corner? what if I stand in
the middle and don't move? As soon as the rider demonstrates that they know
what their doing and use the cues correctly, he (acknowledges their
leadership? has vetted them and decided they are acceptable to him and he
will obey?) I don't know!

On the other hand, he has a sweet little youth rider (riding less than a
year) that he has been packing to Hunter Jumper shows, and they take just
about everything they enter - last one they came home with the big
championship ribbon for their division. Why? Well, Elph LIKES to jump! and
even though Bella is new to riding she has superb natural balance and the
only time she rides him is under the supervision of the trainer, who makes
sure she is doing everything correctly.

Tish and Elph in gorgeous Minneapolis
sunshine, low humidity, and can't wait to go driving this evening!!!!!

FH_L Shirts: http://tinyurl.com/8yky94l