This message is from: Alice MacGillivray <al...@4km.net>

Cowbirds have moved into our area; they weren't here last summer.  As you
probably know, they walk around by the horses' feet and ride on their backs.
The TB doesn't mind this at all.

One day I happened to be in the field when a cowbird landed on Bocina's back.
She stopped eating (you know how significant that is with a Fjord) and flicked
her skin violently.  The bird bounced around but stayed put.  So Bocina
twisted her head right around (thanks to all the practice we do with
stretches) and stared the bird in the face.  This got the bird a bit agitated,
but it didn't fly away.  So Bocina put her head back around, but in that
alert, high-headed sort of way, and bucked.  I didn't know she could buck with
her head up.  The bird got the message.  I don't know how often this has
happened, but they ride on the TB's back, but I've never seen them again on
hers!

Alice MacGillivray

> ... My mare and I were in some deep grass entering in to a canopy of fir
trees. Up flew this little bird and thunk hit my mare square between the
nostrils. She did not jump out of her skin, but instead pinned her ears and
flipped her head up and down with this indignant look on her face...