This message is from: "Mary Ofjord" <ma...@boreal.org>

A few years ago, when I wrote for a small horse publication, I researched
the rabies issue in Minnesota because folks wanted to know if they should
vaccinate for the disease. The research was interesting, to say the least.
I have NOT vaccinated for rabies, yet, but will be doing so in the future.
>From 2008 to 2012, Minnesota had 326 cases of rabies.

There has never been a reported case of rabies in Cook County, where we
live.  Our county is mostly wilderness, and there are a lot of animals
around here, including skunks, bats, foxes, etc. Interestingly, most of the
cases involved bats and skunks in other parts of the state. Only one horse
has tested positive for rabies during those years.

Apparently I have been very lucky because when I was a child, I used to
capture bats that hid behind the shutters on cabins. I would carefully pick
them up with a stick and place them in my jacket, only to surprise my
friends when I opened my jacket and had bats hanging in there! YIKES!  Yes,
I knew bats might carry rabies, but I guess I didn't know any better and I
was very careful that they didn't bite me.

Our rabies vaccines also must be administered by a vet, but they are only
around $30. Cheap insurance to be sure.

Mary Ofjord
North Coast Services, LLC
218-387-1879

"I give rabies shots Every year"
Lucky you!  In calif you can only get your animals vaccinated by a vet. It
has been outlawed for consumers to obtain the vaccine.