This message is from: Gail Russell <g...@zeliga.com>

Do beware of their feet.  We had a horse that had a gut problem that they
thought was Potomac Horse Fever.  He recovered, but the inflammation
resulted in founder with horrible sinking  Apparently, that type of
rotation is harder to treat and recover from from than "normal" grass
founder.  We eventually had to put the horse down.  After that experience,
I would absolutely say that the horses should not be in shoes, and I would
even consider putting them in some kind of padded foot appliance (styrofoam
blocks, Soft Ride boots, ....or something that would help stop the
potential descent).  I have had two horses get even mild fevers and had
BOTH develop laminitis.  The fever was so mild that the laminitis was the
first clue that they were systemically ill (pigeon fever and a jaw
infection).  I would consult the vet, and I would consider arguing or
getting a second opinion if they say there is no danger.

Gail