This message is from: Diana Calder <dcal...@gmail.com>

 I'm not sure about the 1993 reprint, but reviews on Amazon indicate that
the 2012 reprints aren't the Wesley Dennis illustrations. Also, the Album
of Horses isn't one of her stories, it's a collection of breed info,
judging by the Amazon description and reviews. You can probably find an
ex-library copy of the big, beautiful hard cover editions for a reasonable
price. Amazon Marketplace or abebooks.com may be a better option to track
them down.

For the younger boy, you might want to search out the gorgeous C.W.
Anderson books (especially the Billy and Blaze ones) or Walter Farley's
Little Black, A Pony series. There's also Big Black Horse, the picture book
version of The Black Stallion.

Diana