This message is from: Alice MacGillivray <al...@4km.net>

I know I've thanked some of you, but I wanted to post a thank you to the
community as a whole, and mention some of the folks on the acknowledgements
page of Riding Horseback in Purple: Re-awakening the Dream of Owning a Horse."
Ellen Barry, Wendy Bauwens, Robin Churchill, Phil Odden, Yvonne Olson, June
Mendoza Wheeler, Mel Raven, Corinne Logan and Pat Wolfe are just a few of the
"Fjord people" mentioned in the book, and MANY others had input.  Thank you so
much!

The way the book unfolded, it seems to be valuable for three groups of people.
It is written for women who are considering their first horse (or first horse
in a long time) in the hope that they will find the right horse at the right
time for a healthy, long-term relationship.  The other two groups benefitting
are groups that are recommending the book to their clients.  Sadly, many of
the rescue organization managers I spoke with said rescues are too often
temporary.  Even when they work hard to match women and horses, the women
aren't always as prepared as they hoped, and the human-horse relationships
don't last. Similarly, some breeders, trainers and coaches want their clients
to have a solid foundation and become lifelong learners.

It has been interesting to hear from experienced friends who have read the
book.  Of course a lot of the content was extremely basic for them.  But that
reminded them how much they have learned over the decades.  It really is
difficult, some of them have said, to put themselves in the shoes of
beginners.  Fortunately, I haven't found it difficult to do that!

The book should be available now everywhere from Amazon to the local bookstore
(though you'll probably need to ask in smaller outlets).  I am also trying to
keep this site current with updates:  http://ridinghorsebackinpurple.com/

Have fun with your Fjords.  Here in western Canada (not far from Seattle) I am
looking forward to the end of the mud season!

Alice MacGillivray