This message is from: Gail Russell <g...@zeliga.com>

Hi All,

I am trying to figure out what to do about buying another truck, or fixing
the one I have.  My situation is as follows:

I have a 2007 F350 long box crew cab dually diesel truck 4x4 that gets
about 12 miles to a gallon.

It replaced a 1993 F250 regular cab 4x4 truck with a 460 engine that gets
even less miles, especially when towing.  The F250 is still "in the family"
but is showing signs of a dead transmission (cost $3K to $4K).  It has
about 165,000 miles on the 460.  The radiator may be compromised on it as
it tends to get hot when driven slowly on desert roads with the AC on.  I
just rebuilt the brakes and the front end on the F250.  The seats on the
F250 are not comfortable.

One thing about the F250 is that it has the old body frame which causes it
to have an enormous turning radius.  Much larger than the 2 foot longer
F350.

Both of our trucks have gooseneck and bumper hitches.

We love the F350.  It is the Lariat edition and the seats are comfortable,
the engine braking makes horse hauling a dream....love the truck.

I would like to have a spare truck.  We are finding that we would like to
leave our camper on our truck all the time, which means we need a truck
that can haul our three horse Silverlite when needed.

What I am thinking of doing is trying to get a newer truck that mimics the
F350 we love, but is not such a big investment.   By mimics, I mean engine
braking, somewhat better mileage than the F250, 4 wheel drive, long box,
with tow package and better turning radius.  Either a crew cab or extra
cab.  Probably a crew cab.

What I do not know is where the Ford trucks changed radically...so I know
what years are suitable.

Opinions?

Gail