This message is from: Claudia Cavanaugh <cmcavanaug...@gmail.com>

I think one reason that you see fewer Fjords at the Grand Prix level is
that there are fewer Fjords period, if you compare the number of 'big brown
horses' to the number of 'little yellow horses' showing.  So it's not
surprising there are fewer at the upper levels.

I have a big chunky Fjord and a tall, graceful Trakehner and I love them
both.  I have been schooling the Trakehner in dressage for the sixteen
years I've owned him, and he's very quick to learn and the upper level
movements are very easy for him, because of his conformation.  I mostly
drive and trail ride with the Fjord, although I have done some lower level
dressage shows with him.  He did very well there, but the movements are
much more difficult for him because he's just different in his
conformation.  I worked with one trainer for many years and she said, "It's
a lot easier to advance in dressage if you have a horse who's built for the
job, instead of having to train it all in and overcome the conformational
limitations."  I found out the truth of that when I bought the Trakehner
and realized how much easier things were for him than for the big Morgan I
had been riding.  And consequently, easier for me.

There are some super talented Fjords on the dressage circuits, and they
make us all proud.  But owning horses of both body types, I would have to
say that riding a horse that is built for the requirements of today's
dressage competitions is a lot easier than riding a horse like my own
lovely Fjord, who could pull a house off the foundation more easily than he
could get light in front.   Not that he can't get light in front....but it
is a lot harder for him.    And it takes a much more talented rider to get
a Fjord really competitive against the thoroughbreds and warmbloods..

I agree with the person who said that if we start breeding Fjords with
longer legs and more slender necks, they might be easier for the average
rider to present in dressage, and they might move up the levels with more
frequency.  But would they still be the Fjords we love?  The Morgan breed
has been 'improved' so much that many are no longer recognizable as Morgans
any more, and are often mistaken for TBs or Arabs.  I hope the Fjords won't
be headed in the same direction.