This message is from: "Ursula Jensen" <ursu...@gmail.com>

  As one writer so aptly put it. There are no absolutes in horses and
dressage!! I totally concur with that comment from my time and experience in
the Fjord breed. Kudos, especially for the Fjord breed.

     In Europe, I have trained or guest Judged in Germany, Denmark, and
Norway, and have yet to see Fjords presented for Conformation on pavement.
In Germany, Denmark and Norway the triangles I saw run were on outdoor soil
arenas, or indoor composite soils. Essen Equitana, where the German Fjords
are displayed to many yearly successes are working on composite ground
materials. Lately there has been a singular extra stallion trotting test at
Nordfjordheid on more solid ground. The Norwegian young stock are trotted on
outdoor soil triangles.

    From my personal CDE experience in driven dressage driving singles,
tandem, pairs and fours I find the working trot of the Fjord usually quite
acceptable. The struggle comes with asking for the extended trot on the
diagonal. Fjords properly conditioned, trained, and athletic can usually
find it, but it takes time, training, maturity, and lots of CDE exposures.
Do not give up, they usually have one more gear in the trot. You and your
Fjord need to find it!

Lori Albrough, put the conformation context in a good frame of reference
from her discipline of ridden dressage. The wild card here is to never slot
your Fjord into a particular capability based on its body frame and
bio-mechanics.

    In my Evaluation work here in  Canada and the USA I have often looked at
a Fjord getting ready for a ridden or driven dressage thinking by its body
type I will likely not see much dressage or performance.

Surprise, surprise-----watching this entry perform, I say, where in the hell
did that come from????????? Here is a rather average looking Fjord giving a
great extended walk and extended trot to die for!! Another Fjord breed
surprise.

    Our Fjords here, out walk most other breeds around?  They all have a
body busy rump swinging walk.

The gait from a Fjord that I love is the pairs switching to a lope/canter in
the CDE obstacles. It can be very quiet, efficient and smooth. Having a pair
or four-up cantering in unison in an obstacle can certainly give you the
prickles.

   In closing I agree with Beth on the three breed types being recognized
here in North America. Each type has its own talents and abilities. America
is now the bastian of the three distinct body types.

Unfortunately in Europe one of these types is quietly disappearing due to
consumer demand. As Phillip much earlier said---Need begets Type!!  The
Fjord world  in the last 100 years has come full circle and is coming back
to its original self.

For that I am thankful. Mr. B.