This message is from: Bonnie Michelis <toula...@gmail.com>

I have had my fjord since he was a weanling.  He is now 15.  Keeping weight
off this breed is a challenge and I think alot of them are very prone to
insulin resistance,.  If you go to www.equinemedsurg.com they have alot of
great articles for managing horses that gain easily.  My boy had laminitis
for the first time this past summer even tho he is worked alot.  He was
still overweight and to diet him I would need to dry lot him and he would
have to go long periods without eating to keep weight off,  Now I manage
him alot different thanks to what I learned at this site.  He got the
weight off and keeps it off very well by feeding a low starch/high protein
pellet and using hay bags.  I also use a muzzle.  I know he doesn't like it
much, but he does accept it.  When you introduce it, be sure they aren't
very hungry when you put it on at first.  Put a small treat in it so they
think treat every time you put it on - they don't fight it then.  They have
to learn to use it by picking it up and placing it straight down on the
grass.  It doesn't work with very short grass, but my guy will graze the
taller stuff this way.  Since I changed how I manage him, I am able to
offer grass without a muzzle 2 hrs a day without weight gain.  I hope I am
able to increase that this summer as the quality of grass goes down.  Check
out this site!  My horse is never hungry anymore.  You can put a new bag up
and he doesn't run to it - doesn't shake his head and acts agitated when
other horses are fed anymore either.  It made a huge difference for us!

bonnie in wi