This message is from: Birgit Mortensen <taasi...@mail.dk>

I have noticed that very recently there has been a discussion about
Facebook versus the Digest. I admit that for a long time I have spent
more time on Facebook than I have on the Digest. I agree with those of
you saying that there is much more substance here. Facebook is fast and
shallow and it is incredible how much nonsense and ignorance you expose
yourself to. So why am I there? Not because of my own profile ? I seldom
write anything there, but because the Danish Studbook for Fjord Horses
has a handful of groups about Fjord Horses. We want these groups to be
places where the members can learn about the breed and have fun at the
same time. I am one of the monitors in these groups and it takes a lot of
time, but things are improving, though too many group members still have
very little sense for the importance of having respect for the breed?s
history and the current breed standards.
We have also created a Facebook site in English ? The Fjord Horse
Studbook in Denmark - where we tell about the Fjord Horses in Denmark.
Perhaps you know that you do not need to have a Facebook profile in order
to view Facebook sites. I therefore invite you ?Facebook-haters? to take
a look (maybe not the best time of the year because not much has been
written in January, - we have been in hibernation mode).

https://www.facebook.com/TheFjordHorseStudbookInDenmark?ref=hl
[https://www.facebook.com/TheFjordHorseStudbookInDenmark?ref=hl]

I have noticed that Brian Jensen (hello Brian) has recently written that
most European countries ?have a mandatory requirement for all mares and
stallions be Evaluated in Conformation, before being allowed to breed?.
However that is not entirely true. Stallion evaluation is mandatory in
the Nordic countries and in Continental Europe, but there is no such
demand for mares and I don?t think there has ever been. Apart from that I
don?t think that we could make such a decision in the national Studbooks,
the European legislation would not allow it.
Station tests are becoming less common in Europe. Norway had the last
station test in 2013. Denmark has also abolished the 30 days test. Sweden
has ? to my knowledge ? never had it, and the same can be said about the
Netherlands. Germany still has the test, and probably the most demanding
test there has ever been in Europe.

It is true that there has been a decline in Fjord foaling numbers in
Europe. The global crisis is partly guilty in that, but the European
legislation has also given us many strange rules that makes life
difficult for horse owners and many have downsized or given up.
However in Denmark we experience a huge interest from the young people
when it comes to riding Fjord Horses. 15 years ago it wasn?t nearly as
trendy. We have had our own Fjord shows for many years but in the last 10
years our riders also compete in classes with representatives from most
breeds in Denmark and they are doing very well. We arrange national
championships for our riders and drivers, the studbooks in the Nordic
countries invites to National championships every second year and till
now we have seen three European championships for Fjord Horses and their
riders and drivers. 2006 in Denmark, 2009 and 2012 in Germany. In Denmark
we hope to be able to arrange the next European Championship in 2016,
where we once again are celebrating a Studbook Jubilee. It could be 85
years or it could be 75 years. In 1931 it was decided to establish a
national evaluation system in conformation and in 1941 the first printed
studbook was printed with evaluated stallions and mares. In 2001 we
incorporated geldings in our evaluation system.

Many greetings from Denmark

Birgit