I think that what I actually want is for the operating systems to use .flac instead. Similar to what Mac OS X does with .aiff. This should probably
have been posted in the advocacy emailing list instead.

This is an interesting idea. There already is a FUSE filesystem called mp3fs (http://mp3fs.sourceforge.net/) which can dynamically transcode files from FLAC to MP3. Perhaps someone should write flacfs?

The challenge for using FLAC would be to determine/predict/estimate the FLAC file size in advance. Technical difficulties aside, I think the idea of popping in a CD and having the files show up as FLAC would be an appealing one to users.

I suppose another alternative would be to hack on cddafs or one of its cousins to add FLAC support.

Stephen