I upgraded to Leopard (version 10.5 of OS X) a few weeks ago. Although I was a bit disappointed, but not surprised, to see that FLAC support isn't built natively into the OS, I was very happy to notice recently that Apple ships source code for a FLAC encoder and decoder codec component in /Developer/Examples/CoreAudio/AudioCodecs/ FLAC.xcodeproj.

All that is necessary to build the codec is to download the latest FLAC source code, copy it into the project tree, #define VERSION appropriately, and build it. Once installed this allows Core Audio aware applications to encode and decode FLAC in a CAF container. I think this is superior to the XiphQT components because it doesn't require any external frameworks to be installed, and it allows encoding. I've posted a screenshot of QuickTime's standard audio configuration dialog at http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/5231/picture1uz9.png showing the available FLAC encoding options.

I think a great next step would be to write an AudioFileComponent to add native FLAC file support. An AudioFile component coupled with the FLAC codec component would automatically bring native FLAC support to any Core Audio-enabled application!

Apple's license for the sample code allows it to be distributed in source or binary form- it would be trivial to package up the compiled codec for redistribution, if people feel that's something worth doing.

Stephen