I am working on creating a set of FLAC files for a ‘decoder compliance test
corpus’ and am looking for examples of things that are part of the standard but
not supported in the reference decoder. I am not looking for things missing
from the reference encoder (such as variable block sizes).

I seem to recall someone on this list (most likely lvqcl or Martijn van
Beurden) mentioning something about a standard-compliant potential improvement
to compression that can’t be pursued at this point because the reference
decoder doesn’t support it.

Any idea what that was? Any other ideas about what might be missing from the
decoder despite being described in the standard?

Maurits