Correction, the flac command-line does create a 40-byte Vorbis comment by
default. I just never noticed it before. I’ve been using —no-padding all these
years for minimal file sizes without realizing that I could save another 40
bytes.

Anyway, since metaflac can remove the Vorbis comment using the standard
library, then you should be able to create a solution without modifying libFLAC.

Brian