Per https://xiph.org/flac/faq.html#general__channels currently FLAC supports 1 through 8 channels. This is fine for 5.1 surround sound (6 channels). But some of the newer surround sound systems can handle many more channels. Is it still convenient to have all of the audio channels in one file for, say, a 16 channel audio track?

I don't know much about the history of FLAC. How did this many channels come to be the number supported? Is there any interest in increasing the number of channels?

Thanks for all the hard work on FLAC, I continue to get a lot of use out of FLAC.