Just to clarify, Vista is the new operating system, the stuff MS is
doing is the Avalon framework which is edited using the Sparkle
toolset/ide.

However, Avalon is fully implemented in .NET so it is *possible*, though
my guess is unlikely, to be cross-platform.

I fail to see the relationship between the ".NET" part of the statement and the possibility of "cross-platform" part.

Did I wake up in a different universe this morning? Has .NET been ported to anything not Microsoft? Are there known efforts other than a vague promise by MS?

In my opinion as Java programmer, J programmers being tempted by .NET are missing the real point of Java. It would be like programming flash apps that make use of those few features available only on IE for PC.

But perhaps you meant, "cross-os" as in all the windoze flavors and versions. If I was a windoze user who makes windoze apps only for windoze desktops and servers, I would definitely be using C# and .NET, but then again...

Isaac Rivera

Although, MS has actually
come up with quite a compelling tool. You basically get a flash-like
tool with timelines and graphics (plus 3D), but with the entire power of the .NET platform. I have been a long-time Java fan, but with direction
of .NET, I have been seriously considering making the switch. (And of
course keeping Flash for the web stuff :) )