On 10/7/05, Mike Mountain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What was the reasoning behind not holding off the release and putting
> this in 8, or waiting and pushing it in 9?

I was thinking about this myself. I *may* have figured it out. Follow me
here

1) Release Flash 8 Player with some new features and an enhanced Updater
feature. It should be noted that this new Updater will pull down only the
new parts of the Player as upgrades are made. This is the key here.

2) Release Player 8.5 with _two_ ActionScript Virtual Machines. This makes
for a larger total download but not so big if only updating from 8.0 player.

3) Release Player 9.0 with even more features but having removed the older
ActionScript Virtual Machine so that it seems that the download size is the
same as 8.5

So, rather than loading everything into one player version they are
stratigically breaking it apart into smaller parts and slowly increasing the
total player size.

Tell me if I am off on this Mike.

Charles P.