This is not the case... but one thing I noticed is this... it has to do with the
"this".... I added a simple trace function of "this" that is called on the
button
press.. and i got this:

_level0.menu_mc.l1_mc.news_btn

So I guess the this is refering to the button. Now it I target it with the
_root - then
it works... however I want to use a relative path as I read using _root is not
desired.
Due to if you use _root in your code, you can encounter errors if you load the
SWF file
into another Flash document.

So - this is all coming down to a targeting issue. So I figured hey, I can use
_parent.... this seems to not be hte case as I get this on hte result of the
trace (from
the button click):

_level0

So in what I "thought" _parent would be (IE _level0.menu_mc) if called from the
button -
I am now ending up more confused than ever about "this" and "_parent".

I always thought "this" was the current timeline - however I see it is not
that. And I
thought "_parent" was just up one level.

So I need to find a nice clear definition of how they work. Any links?

 Dustin