Sorry I've been having a bad head day today...  but, it's still a case of
first having to work out you want to use List.selectedIndex, from the many
members of the component; then the documentation is fine granted.  Surely it'd
be a good idea to include use of selectedIndex in the  "Creating an
application with the List component" section!!

Generally I feel MM's documentation could be a fair bit better... especially
code examples, some of them are like Ebeneezer Scrooge