Hi,

Partly right :)

The plan has always been to support AS3 in both Flash authoring and Flex
and that is still true.

At one point we were looking stretching to get AS3 in Flash Player 8 and
Flash Professional 8, but we realized that was a *bad* idea...we just
couldn't do it with the quality and results we wanted.

So we still are planning on having AS3 in both products, but the sync-up
comes with the next major release.  That said, we will be working to get
Flash authoring with AS3 in public alpha or beta on the labs site so
folks can give us feedback.

In general, we did step back a while ago and realized that we were not
meeting our customers needs (and future customer needs) by trying to be
"all things to all people" in a single tool.  While we did add much
great "developer oriented" functionality to Flash authoring, we felt
from talking to customers that in many cases designers felt confused or
even ignored and yet programmers still didn't feel we were meeting their
needs.  We talked with customers and found more folks wanted us to (a)
make a great tool and model that was really designed for
designers/videographers/multimedia professionals and (b) also a great
tool and model that was really designed for programmers, and *most
importantly* (c) make it so that teams could work together and bring
together designers and developers to build great experiences.

We are not going to ignore developers in Flash authoring--you'll see
continued improvements across the functionality in Flash authoring in
future releases, but you will see us continuing to have a different
focus across Flex and Flash authoring and increasingly over releases
improving the ability for them to work together.

HTH,
David
Macromedia