Amanda Kuek wrote:
Hello there,

On 31/10/05, JOR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Well, since you're using ASP you can take advantage of the Session
object by storing the input from the flash movie in a session until the
user submits the form.

[snip]

This is certainly an idea that hadn't crossed my mind. Is there any
advantage to using the Session object? My only concern is that the
user would constantly be hitting the ASP server whenever they
position/reposition the marker (the marker for which the X,Y
coordinates are stored).

Thanks,

Amanda.

I wouldn't hit the server until the location was considered final by the user. Maybe have a "lock hole" or "finalize hole" button in the flash movie that triggers the POST. It wouldn't work to put the POST on something like a mouseMove event and I'd be hesitant about using mouseUp either for the exact reason you mention. You don't want the user to keep hitting the server over and over for nothing.

The advantage to using the session object would be for two different ASP pages... A) The one your Flash movie POSTs to behind the scenes and B) the one your HTML form POSTs to when the form is complete. In order for the two ASP pages to share data you need to store the X and Y locations somewhere they both can access. Session seemed like a logical place but you have other options like a database or even cookies. It's up to you what makes the most sense for your needs.

JOR