> Why it is illegal to combine both a path declaration and a datatype
> declaration  in the same expression" i.e.:

I also find it strange that you can't do this:

var phrases:Object = new Object();
phrases.introduction:String = 'Bem vindo a todos.';

- or even -

var phrases:Array = new Array();
phrases[0]:String = 'Bem vindo a todos.';

Should dynamically created properties/elements really be that bastardized
in ActionScript? One of the advantages of strict data typing is the
disambiguation of the code. I miss the ability to completely disambiguate
in certain situations. For example, I occasionally use loops to generate
objects or populate arrays, and would like to be able to strictly identify
(for the sake of readability) any new properties/elements added within
that loop.

I can get around the limitation by directly passing a value to a _simple_
datatype's constructor during assignment. This identifies the expected
value's type for me in many situations, but other constructors don't
accept a direct value this way.

I'm not encouraging/perpetuating bad programming practices here. There's
legitimate reason to wonder about this.

-
pixelTwiddler, a.k.a. Jason