Design patterns are just a way of doing things... I once posted on my blog
after reading the Head First Design Patterns book (which I think is a
must-read for people getting into DP's) that you might know how to play some
notes on a guitar (this is would liken to creating some variables), and you
may know how to build some chords( classes ) but if you play certain notes
and chords a certain way then you might be playing the blues (a design
pattern).

MVC is a design pattern made of other design patterns. if you get to know
those first, you'll understand mvc better.

there's a fine line to walk between knowing that you CAN use design patterns
in your design, and that you MUST (usually people think this because someone
else is doing it). Don't worry about forcing them into your work yet...but
look for spots where they might be appropriate and try to work them in (by
this i mean, dont worry about starting off saying, "i am going to build this
using the ____ pattern").

Defintely look into ARP...it's a framework that uses a bunch of design
patterns to show you a good way to develop a flash app. ( Don't be worried
by the word "framework" either -- you might even think of it as a "reusable
application template").