On 11/14/05, Al Veldhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> The site will be hosted on a Windows server, and will quite heavily us
> .NET components, so putting it onto a linux server isn't really an option.
>
> The problem I am quite simply having is that I find flash remoting
> confusing. I have been working with actionscript for about 3 years now,
> and understand it fully. I just don't understand how to form packets and
> transfer them between flash and the remoting software. The only
> programming I have ever done is in actionscript so I really don't know
> any other language which I guess makes it more difficult.
>
> I have looked at OpenAMF however it doesn't run on Windows.

Yes it does. OpenAMF is a java technology which will run wherever java
does - which is everywhere. The problem is that it is for *java* not
.NET. You seem to need .NET so OpenAMF is out.

>I didn't understand the purpose of FlashOrb.

It sounds more like you dont understand the purpose of remoting. So
let me try to explain.

Remoting is just a way to make calls to "remote procedures" on servers
from the flash client. Different remoting technologies support
different server side systems. In order to do remoting, you need a
gateway that sits between your server side system, and the internet.
This gateway recieves function calls from flash, and returns the
result of the function call to flash. So in order to use remoting, you
must have code written on the server side which queries the database
or does whatever you need to get done. So you must have code you wish
to access in some .NET compatible language such as C#. All remoting
does is let you access that code.

Server side systems include:

Java
.NET
PHP

If you were using php I would suggest AMFPHP. This would allow you to
call php functions on your server from within flash.

Since you are using .NET, I would suggest flashORB, which is just like
all the other remoting gateways, but the standard edition is free, and
it supports .NET. On their home page it says:
Free Standard Edition for .NET includes support for Flash Remoting
10.20.05
The release of Beta 3 marks an important milestone in the history of
Flash Remoting for .NET. The free Standard Edition of the product
provides Flash Remoting support.

Once you get remoting set up it is exceedingly simple and powerful.
Any function which you wish to access from flash can be accessed via a
function call.

I have never heard of the company and the product you referenced, but
I did go to their website. I cant say it wont work for you, but the
remoting mechanism is much more mainstream and therefore, I think, a
safer bet.

Regards
Hank