This has worked for me in the past as well. Basically, the rule is that if
you can actually *see* the character in your xml file, and you've set things
up correctly, Flash will render the character.
 However, I have a project coming up where we'll need to render special
characters from the actual Unicode sequences. (So the files will not have
human-readable characters, just Unicode for special chars). Has anyone had
any luck making that work?
 Jim Kremens