It turns out that my new laptop has the settings for DPI set to 120 instead of
96, this caused all sites vied in internet explorer to be scaled up by 20%.
When I set the scale mode to noScale the movie was being sized correctly but
the stage was still 20% bigger than it should be, this was a tough one to track
down.

It looks like there is a bug with the flash player in internet explorer with
this dpi setting as if you put noScale in your code the swf on the stage is not
scaled but the stage is still 20% bigger than it should be so you end up with a
"border".  To force eveything to behave (basically use the 20% bigger scaling
set in the operating system) you have to set scale ot either exactfit or
noborder in the html.

I've just changed my settings to 96dpi as dell probably set it high due to the
ridiculous resolution of this laptop but I like my screen realestate :)

to test the theory on windows go to you display properties,  the settings tab,
advanced button and change the dpi seting from 96pdi to 120dpi and then hit
this url

http://www.bluetube.com/temp/flash-embed-test/EMC.html  do the same thing in
firefox and notice the internet explorer the stage is bigger but the swf is not
which can give undesirable results.

Grant