Sorry, Eric, I didn't explain myself very well.

Yes, getting the coder to send you strings that are properly formatted to
start with is going to fix your problem.

But you could consider getting him to replace the "\" character with "\\"
instead of "/" - because that should cure your problem.

\ is often interpreted as an escape character by many languages. So if it's
in front of almost anything in a string, it'll 'mangle' the next character
or few characters.

For example, "\n" is replaced by the newline character. "\t" is replaced by
the TAB character. And so on.

If you actually want to include a backslash in the string, you use "\\".

So in many languages, to specify a Windows pathname you'd use double-slashes
throughout. e.g. "C:\\Program Files\\MyFolder\\MyApp.exe"

Hope that makes sense,
Ian