Example .as files:

class GameoverPanel extends UserInteractionPanel {
function GameoverPanel(controller:PanelController, panelObj:Object) {
// Call the super() constructor passing it the panel object.
super(controller,panelObj);//calls the constructor for the base calss
UserInteractionPanel
super.showText("hello from uipanel");//uses function from extended class

// Populate the panel contents.
populatePanel();
super.populatePanel();//uses function from extended class
}
public function populatePanel(){
        trace("populated from gameoverpanel");
}
public function test(){
        trace("hello");
}

class PanelController{

}

class UserInteractionPanel{
        function UserInteractionPanel(cont:Object,panObj:Object){
                trace("UIP constructor called");
        }
        function showText(sText){
                trace("show text uip:"+sText);
        }
        function populatePanel(){
                trace("populated from uipanel");

All I can think of is that there may be an error prior to the 'super'
one that flash is airbrushing.

Also try using :
super.constructor.apply(this, arguments);
for the constructor instead.

Neil

www.neilhighley.com