If you provide a button, you can use the System.setClipboard("string");
method to copy the "actual" text into the clipboard.  Meaning, the text the
smiley actually represented.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karina Steffens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 10:45 AM
Subject: RE: [Flashcoders] emoticons in a chat component

Copy/paste is a problem, but saving to history could be solved either by
making a special history viewer that would handle the fonts similarly
(instead of saving it to a simple file), or stripping them from the text
before saving.
I hope that my client will see that this solution is the best available and
won't be too concerned about the copy/paste problem.
But I wonder if there's a way to override the copy action to perform a
different action instead, that could strip the smilies from the code?

My main concern right now is embedding the fonts in the TextArea. The smiley
font has been  embedded without a glitch, but the ordinary text font (_sans)
is suffering from two problems:

1. Unembedded, it looks nice and crispy, but embedded there's a fuzziness to
it, even with anti-aliasing switched off (in fact that looks even worse).
Verdana didn't produce any better results. Should I use a different font,
perhaps?

2. Bold text doesn't show up as bold. I have two font symbols in my library
for _sans: Sans-Normal and Sans-Bold. The history text is html formatted,
with the username surrounded with <b> tags, but it stops being bold once the
font is embedded. I had the same problem before with html formatting using
embedded fonts in a TextField, and had to use device fonts instead. It seems
to be a bug introduced in Flash 7, because I did not have that problem with
embedded fonts in 6. Any ideas?

Karina