I do all of my work remotely and have setup SVN access for all the people involved in the project.

After a 10 minute guide to tortoise svn all the non-programmers were happy, and they have now got out of the habit of having mutiple copies of files with incremental names like schedule_rev23 because the revisions are managed automatically.

We use it for everything project related, specification documents, schedules, code, .fla's.

Its great having https access as well so if someone needs to just view one or two files i can send them a link and some guest account details.

If you are thinking of setting up an SVN server yourself i personally prefer using debian. And this page can get you up and running in no time.

http://www.geocities.com/arhuaco/doc/subversion/apache-subversion-in-debian.html

although i use a slightly different config in apache (the SVNParentPath directive, to allow easy control of multiple repositories)

something like this :

<Location /svn>
        DAV svn
        SVNParentPath /opt/svn
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "My SVN"
        AuthUserFile /opt/svn/.dav_svn.passwd
        Require valid-user
</Location>

thanks,

Martin

Ian Thomas wrote:
Hi Danny,
  SVN and CVS work happily for remote access, too...

Cheers,
  Ian

P.S. Bought the book, by the way - just haven't had time to read it. :-)