Thanks all for your help on this.

What I can't get my head around and maybe that is why I cant get this to work is, how does the DG knows to get the info from certail columns only?

I dont see the declaration that the information belongs to the DG.

Using Helen's sample

mydata = [{company:a, id:3}, {company:b, id:54}];
mygrid.columnNames = ["company"];

How does mygrid knows to get the column "company" from mydata when my data has not yet beein delared to have a relationship with mygrid?

I saw the did the same here:
http://flash-creations.com/notes/servercomm_database.php
Which is the link provided

TIA.
Helmut.

Robert Chyko wrote:

When you are creating the columns in your datagrid do not create a
column for the id's, just for whatever you want to actually display.

Then you can put whatever values you want into your DataSet, but the
Datagrid will only display the values that have columns associated with
them.

So if in your for loop when you are adding to the DataSet, you can add
any properties you want (just like you are doing in your first push()
statement in your for loop):

myDataSet.push({ID:idValue, Name:name, Company:id, property4:value,
property5:value, etc......});

But you only want to display Name and Company, then you only create
columns for Name and Company in the datagrid:

var newCol = new DataGridColumn("Name"); newCol.headerText = "Name"; myDataGrid.addColumn(newCol);

var newCol = new DataGridColumn("Company"); newCol.headerText = "Company"; myDataGrid.addColumn(newCol);

If you don't get it, let me know, I can write up a quick .fla and send
it to you.