it's what i did.

within flash, i'd create either a generic object or an associative
array and i'd pass that entire object in my remoting call. the method
in my cfc is set up to accept this arg and the first thing that it
does is loop over it and passes those values along to my database.

and going back i'd do the same thing. i used structs and passed it
back to flash where i'd loop over the result and then going about
using those values where needed.

i used the netconnection debugger to view the back and forth and it
gave me a real nice visual display of the structure of my data.

hth.