Some of this debate may be a matter of preference or perception, too. It's very true that good code should be self-documenting, but once you have a class more or less done, you shouldn't have to analyze its code to figure out what its methods and their signatures are, or how it interacts with other classes. And as a coder, I prefer to write a few lines of documentation comments (/** */ JavaDoc style) before each class and method -- it helps me focus my thoughts on exactly what the item should do and how it should work.

It sounds like JesterXL is just coming from a very intense and fast-paced workplace, with a lot of constant hacking and refactoring -- just remember that the agile methodology wasn't devised to take emphasis away from planning and reflection; it was devised to take emphasis away from Byzantine management and communication structures.