> Personaly I think that if someone can bypass the obfuscation, (not "jump
> tricks" but *real* obfuscation by variable renaming/hashing - see
> http://tech.motion-twin.com/obfu ) then there is no need for additional
> protections because the user is motivated enough to bypass them as well.

Yes but who knows in which order the user gonna
try to bypass the protection(s) ?

> I think that you need to protect from two things :
> a) internal attacks, by obfuscating the SWF
> b) external attacks, by obfuscating the protocol
> This is not *real* security - it should just be called "tricks" to get
> rid of people without enough free time or technical background.

Yep

And to get back on topic here a little list of papers for these kind of
"tricks"

- JAurora
  http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~oord/
  see the paper
  "Stealthy obfuscation techniques misleading the pirates"

- Gleb's Naumovich's publications
  http://cis.poly.edu/gnaumovi/publications.html
  some interesting papers as
  "Obfuscation of Design Intent in Object-Oriented Applications"
  "Preventing Piracy, Reverse Engineering, and Tampering"

- Christian Collberg, Clark Thomborson, Douglas Low

http://www.cs.arizona.edu/~collberg/Research/Publications/CollbergThomborson
Low98a/
  "Manufacturing Cheap, Resilient, and Stealthy Opaque Constructs"

zwetan