Thanks all  --

Franto yours is the way I want to go   - but how can I modify your
code for a bigger map?  Meaning I've got a HUGE bitmap that I want to
create a matrix for -- and rather than the 8x8 tile I'm thinking
something much larger, ie 50x50 blocks - so I modified the mc's to be
50x50 -- also changed the code from '_y*8' to *50, but it's all
discombobulated....is it something within th mousedown and the >>3
that I have to change?

Also - do the wall blocks HAVE to be there in order for it to function
- or the map.as is enough (was going to make an invisible wall block
if it had to be there)

And finally another question: is there a way off the top of you head
that I could actually use the yellow/drawn line as a guide for an
animation?