Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 4:34 PM
Subject: [Flashcoders] xml whitespace problem

Hi.

Whats the easiest way to strip out that annoying whitespace from your xml nodes? I have a lovely human-readable xml file with tons of carriage returns and tabs. When I load it into a flash XML object the leaf/content nodes all have tabs and carriage returns in them. Setting the ignoreWhite property does nothing. [?] Example:

<root_1 attr_1="blahblah">
   <node_1>
           <![CDATA[
                   Leaf content 1 blah blah blah.
            ]]>
   </node_1>
</root_1>

When I parse out that leaf content I get a string like "\n\n Leaf content...." Very annoying. I don't have to write a traversal method to strip it all out do I? Surely there is a better way!

DK