Well, regardless of whether or not you use listeners, you still need to create the data relationship. I don't think encoding the relationships into 25 listeners is necessarily a good idea, either. An associative array, indexed by ID, could store the IDs of the other list items that are related, all in a single data structure. So for instance:

listRelationships["itemID1"] = ["itemID2", "itemID3"];
listRelationships["itemID2"] = ["itemID1"];
listRelationships["itemID3"] = ["itemID2"];

This allows you to store arbitrary relationships between each list item. When a list item is moused over, just grab listRelationships [itemID] and you will get a corresponding array of list items to highlight.

Nathan
http://www.nathanderksen.com