Hi,

There are several factors at work here:

A) The primary thing that drives adoption of a new version of a Flash
Player is content that requires that Player being deployed.  I think
that the dramatic advances in what is possible in Flash Player 8 --
especially the improved video -- led more developers/publishers/sites to
take advantage of the new version triggering more downloads.

B) Express Install!
http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flash/articles/fp8_detection.html

C) Growth of broadband since the last major release

We are seeing about double the rate of successful installs per day that
we saw with the previous version!

-David