>The beginning or to add to the beginning. To prefix a header onto a packet
means to place the header characters in front of the packet. "To prefix" is
the opposite of "to append" characters at the end. As a verb, prefix is not
English. The correct word is "prepend," but computer people are notorious
for turning any English word into a computer term.

http://computing-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/prefix