Just to throw my 2c in, I personally only use getNextHighestDepth(), and as yet haven't had any problems with it. The majority of our screens are already placed in the Flash timeline, I use attachMovie almost only to populate scrollpanes, and loadMovie only into graphic components.

To keep our code separated from the design, we will use placeholders / components in the Flash file to define where external elements are loaded. This lets the designers fiddle with what they like, without having to bother me :)

Regards,
Grant Cox

Nathan Derksen wrote:

Nonsense, this is a great debate IMHO, and I would love to hear more from others as well. This is something that everyone has to deal with, and I genuinely thought that others would make more use of getNextHighestDepth() and was surprised that you and others avoid it. What are the situations that you have come across where only manual depth management would work? Do you have other ways of managing depth?

Nathan
http://www.nathanderksen.com