I found this xml dynamic preloader in the flash 8 docs that works like a charm. You need to tweak the location of the preloader bar, and the name of your xml file, but it's pretty sweet for larger xml loads.

var barWidth:Number = 200;
var barHeight:Number = 6;

this.createEmptyMovieClip("pBar_mc", 9999);
var bar:MovieClip = pBar_mc.createEmptyMovieClip("bar_mc", 10);
bar.beginFill(0xFF0000, 100);
bar.moveTo(0, 0);
bar.lineTo(barWidth, 0);
bar.lineTo(barWidth, barHeight);
bar.lineTo(0, barHeight);
bar.lineTo(0, 0);
bar.endFill();
bar._xscale = 0;

var stroke:MovieClip = pBar_mc.createEmptyMovieClip("stroke_mc", 20);
stroke.lineStyle(0, 0x000000);
stroke.moveTo(0, 0);
stroke.lineTo(barWidth, 0);
stroke.lineTo(barWidth, barHeight);
stroke.lineTo(0, barHeight);
stroke.lineTo(0, 0);

pBar_mc.createTextField("label_txt", 30, 0, barHeight, 100, 21);
pBar_mc.label_txt.autoSize = "left";
pBar_mc.label_txt.selectable = false;
pBar_mc.label_txt.textColor = 0xFFFFFF;
// location of preloader on the movie stage
pBar_mc._x = -160;
pBar_mc._y = 0;

var my_xml:XML = new XML();
my_xml.ignoreWhite = true;
my_xml.onLoad = function(success:Boolean) {
   pBar_mc.onEnterFrame = undefined;
   if (success) {
 myText.text = my_xml;
 pBar_mc._visible=false;
 pBar_mc.label_txt._visible=false;
       trace("XML loaded successfully");
   } else {
       trace("Unable to load XML");
   }
};
my_xml.load("Publications.xml");

pBar_mc.onEnterFrame = function() {
var pctLoaded:Number = Math.floor(my_xml.getBytesLoaded() / my_xml.getBytesTotal() * 100);
   if (!isNaN(pctLoaded)) {
       pBar_mc.bar_mc._xscale = pctLoaded;
       pBar_mc.label_txt.text = pctLoaded + "% loaded";
       if (pctLoaded >= 100) {
           pBar_mc.onEnterFrame = undefined;
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Boutin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 1:05 PM
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] multi-threading / xml progress meter solutions?

Yes I have this problem too, except the xml im loading can be rather large and it causes flash player to freeze up for a few seconds when parsing.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Pobiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>