Thorough prototyping is so key.  I made a prototyping tool for
internal use that allows people to discuss prototype screens.  This
allows the designer to follow a discussion between users, creating
elements as they are requested.  I got the inspiration from success
with FLiP - style development
http://www.fusebox.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=fusebox.faq#gq20, which
uses something called devnotes
http://www.grokfusebox.com/index.cfm?ref=showGoodies.  Benefits are
the user knows what they are getting -- no surprises -- and the
requirements can be traced from devnotes all the way through the code
if necessary.  The public forum also helps eliminate the closed-door
design decisions that cause conflict.  Anyway this is how I prototype
so maybe it can give others some ideas.

Mike