Try using Math.ceil or Math.floor just in case.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Paul
Steven
Sent: 06 March 2006 14:03
To: Flashcoders mailing list
Subject: [Flashcoders] Strange behaviour from modulus operator

Experiencing a strange problem using the modulus operator.

Inside a function I have the following code:

var vValue1 = passed_MC._x - this.Maze_Horizontal_offset;
var vValue2 = 36;

var vTheResult =  vValue1 %  vValue2;

trace ("vValue1 = " + vValue1);
trace ("vTheResult = " + Number(vTheResult));

And here are the results I am getting from the trace statements:

vValue1 = 324
vTheResult = 5.6843418860808e-14

----------------

Surely it should give me a result of zero as 36 goes into 324 exactly 9
times.

The weird thing is if I just hard code the values as follows, it works

var vValue1 = 324;
var vValue2 = 36;

var vTheResult =  vValue1 %  vValue2;

trace ("vTheResult = " + Number(vTheResult));

And here is the result of the trace statement:

vTheResult = 0

I am therefore totally confused!!!

Any help much appreciated. I am publishing for Flash 7 with Actionscript
1.0

Thanks

Paul