> thanks for the idea but this approach will not work in my case because the
> images are loaded sequencially. If one image is finished loading, my class
> starts loading the next and so on, one after one. And the amount of images
> varies (the image filenames are fetched from a XML file).

put the file sizes in the xml along with the filenames.

// then, do something like this
function onLoadProgress ( mc:MovieClip ) {
    realBytesLoaded  = previouslyLoadedBytes + mc.getBytesLoaded();
    percentLoaded = realBytesLoaded  / sumTotal;
}

//    previouslyLoadedBytes == sum of the sizes of the previously
loaded movieclips
//    sumTotal == sum of the sizes retrieved from the XML

-dk