I came across this problem yesterday:

I have some flash code with lots of external .as scripts. I also save old copies of the scripts so I can go back easily. Yesterday I dropped an older (by date) version of an external .as file into my directory (path), but on compile, the final swf was not using the version in the path. (I could tell by certain trace statements). Upon finally figuring this out, all it took was opening and editing the .as file (added a space somewhere) and the next compile used the correct .as

Now, I've tried this first deleting the last compiled swf file first, and got the same behavior. The "newer" version of the .as file was removed, destroyed, and font by font put back into the etherland, so I am sure it wasn't somehow "finding" that file instead.

Anyone know what's up?
How flash decides what to compile? Where it may store prior compiled code if it does? And finally, is there some preference or ini setting that can make each compilation only use files currently in the path? Or recompile completely?

This seemed like pretty unusual behavior, and had me scratching my head. I still am.

Thanks for any info.

Wendy