On 3/20/06, David Stiller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

        I suspect the answer to this one is purely geometry.  It's trivial
to determine the width or height of a movie clip:  there's the _width and
_height properties, of course, as well as getBounds().  But when the clip
is
rotated, the concept of "width" changes.  I'm looking for a way to
determine
the width of an imaginary bounding box that contains the rotated clip.

This is going to depend slightly on what you're looking for. If your movieClip is a circle, then rotating it will leave the bounding box unchanged, whereas if it's a square, then rotating it will change these values. But assuming your original clip is rectangular; or that you;re looking for the dimensions of *its* bounding box when rotated, then at an angle of A, the new width will be Math.abs(w*cos(A))+Math.abs(h*sin(A)), the new height will be Math.abs(w*sin(A))+Math.abs(h*cos(A)). Remember that if A is measured in degrees, you need to multiply it by pi/180 to convert to radians.

HTH
Danny